This 65-year-old Nobel Peace Prize laureate, whose latest period of detention spanned 7 1/2 years, has come to symbolise the struggle for democracy in the Southeast Asian nation ruled by the military since 1962.
2. Who won the first gold of the 16th Asian Games by winning the men’s Changquan title in wushu? Yuan Xiaochao (China).
3. Information Technology and Communications Minister of India who resigned over his alleged involvement in the 2G spectrum allocation scam? A Raja
The 2G spectrum allocations caused an alleged loss of Rs1.76 lakh crore to the Government, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) has stated in a damning report.
4. Which Asian country along with 40 other countries has been elected to the board of the new UN agency to promote equality for women? India.
The board to have representatives from 10 African countries, 10 Asian countries, four Eastern European countries, six Latin American and Caribbean countries and five countries from Western Europe. Asian Countries elected to the board of U.N.Women are Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Republic of Korea and Timor
The agency will be headed by Chile's former president Michelle Bachelet and is expected to be fully operational in January 2011.
5. Indian environmentalist who has been named as one of the seven most powerful feminists in the world, according to a compilation in Forbes magazine? Vandana Shiva
6. Renowned Indian-origin academician who has been named alongside US Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke and Nobel laureate Paul Krugman among the seven most powerful economists in the world, according to a compilation in Forbes magazine? Raghuram Rajan.
7. Who was given the additional charge of the telecom ministry held by A Raja, who recently resigned facing allegations of scam in 2G spectrum allocation? Kapil Sibal.
He was also given the additional charge of Ministries of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences, which fell vacant after incumbent Prithviraj Chavan was made Chief Minister of Maharashtra. V Narayansamy, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, was given additional charge of Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), which also fell vacant after Chavan's departure.
8. Which country decided to pay millions of pounds in compensation to former Guantanamo Bay detainees following weeks of negotiations between lawyers for the government and the former prisoners? Britain.
9. Which company recently decided to shut down its match box manufacturing unit in Chennai (i.e. Chennai plant of Wimco) and has given voluntary retirement to all its employees? ITC. The matchbox business, undertaken by the Chennai unit, would be outsourced to the small-scale sector as the production of matchboxes had become unviable due to the excise-duty disadvantage.
10. Which magazine has won the International Press Institute (IPI) India Award for Excellence in Journalism, 2010 for its outstanding journalistic work done during 2009? TEHELKA magazine.
11. Two-day NATO summit, a meeting of the heads of state and heads of government of NATO held in? Lisbon, Portugal.
The summit also known as the 2010 Lisbon summit held on 19 and 20 November 2010.NATO's new strategic concept, NATO operations in Afghanistan and relations with Russia and other major issues discussed in that summit.
12. Name of a Jupiter-like extra solar planet orbiting the star HIP 13044, about 2,000 light years away from the Earth located on the outskirts of our Milky Way galaxy discovered recently by Astronomers? HIP 13044b. Its discovery was announced on November 18, 2010. The study that led to the discovery of the planet was performed by a team from the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy.
13. Who has been ranked by the Time magazine as the 9th most powerful woman of the past century, a list that also includes Mother Teresa? Indira Gandhi.
Besides Gandhi, only Mother Teresa, who is ranked 22nd, from India included in the list. The list of '25 Most Powerful Women of the Past Century' is topped by Jane Addams, an outspoken advocate for women's suffrage, who was the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize.
14. Name of a long-haired Chihuahua who becomes the smallest police dog in world?(Momo, a seven-year-old Chihuahua, poses during a police dog examination held at Koriyama, western Japan)"Momo" The seven-year-old long-haired Chihuahua qualified as a search-and-rescue dog employed by police in Nara prefecture, western Japan. Most search and rescue dogs are German Shepherds. Police are hoping that Momo can be used for search and rescue operations for disasters like earthquakes. Momo is Japanese for “Peach.”Chihuahua is the smallest breed of dog and is named after the state of Chihuahua in Mexico.
15. National Award winning cinematographer from Kerala who recently passed away in Chennai on Monday due to Alzheimer's. Mankada Ravi Varma.
He served as cinematographer for noted Directors like Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Aravindan and PN Menon. He won two National Awards for cinematography, one for Adoor Gopalakrishnan's Swayamvaram in 1972. In 2000, he won it for his documentary, Kalamandalam Gopi. He won seven Kerala State Film Awards in various categories. In 1984, he directed his first film, Nokkukuthi, which won him another National Award and a State award. It was based on a poem by noted Malayalam poet, M Govindan. He also directed Kunjikoonan in 1989.
16. Which country launched a massive spy satellite on 21-11-2010 for the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO)? U.S.A.
The satellite was launched through Delta 4 carrier rocket -on behalf of "NRO", the U.S. administration which manages spy satellites- from UAL (United Launch Alliance, a Boeing-Lockheed Martin joint-venture), and it departed from the USAF's installation in Cape Canaveral (Florida).
17 Who was elected as President of the Karnataka State Cricket Association? Anil Kumble.
Kumble's men won 23 out of the 24 posts and he defeated current president Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wadiyar by 43 votes.
Former fast bowler Jawagal Srinath elected as Secretary. Former India seamer Venkatesh Prasad, who was elected vice president along with Roger Binny.
18. Who has been crowned the 2010 Male World Athlete of the Year at the World Athletics Gala in Monte Carlo? David Rudisha. (Kenya). He is a Kenyan middle distance runner and world record holder in the 800 metres with a time of 1:41.01. Rudisha holds four of the ten fastest times for this event. In November 2010, at the age of 21, he became the youngest ever athlete to win the IAAF World Athlete of the Year award. He also won the Kenyan Sportsman of the Year award.
19. Who has been crowned the 2010 Female World Athlete of the Year at the World Athletics Gala in Monte Carlo? Blanka Vlasic (Croatia).She is the current Croatian record holder in high jump, and also the current World Champion both indoors and outdoors. Her personal best jump of 2.08 m was set on 31 August 2009 and is the second highest height cleared in the history of the event.
20. A woman, who has helped almost 12000 women and girls find their way out from sex slavery, has been chosen as the CNN Hero of the Year 2010. Name of that woman?
Anuradha Koirala. She and her group (Maiti Nepal) have helped more than 12,000 victims of Nepal’s sex trafficking business. She is the Founder and Executive Director of Maiti Nepal which has provided more than a shelter for these girls and young women.
21. More than 378 people were killed in a stampede in a country in Southeast Asia during the final day of the annual Water Festival held in its capital city on November 2010. Which is that country? Cambodia.
22. Chief Minister of Andra Pradesh who resigned on November 24, 2010 citing his inability to withstand the work-pressure because of his age? K. Rosaiah.
The 78-year-old leader had taken over as the chief minister on Sep 3 last year following the death of Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash.
23. Who becomes the 16th Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh after Rosaiah resigns citing personal reasons? Kiran Kumar Reddy.
24. India recently decided to set up two test ranges for radar-based electronic warfare (EW) systems. The two test ranges will come up at?Chitradurga in Karnataka and Tandur in Andhra Pradesh.
25. The chief executive officer of LIC Housing Finance who has been arrested by CBI in connection with an alleged multi-crore housing finance racket? Ramachandran Nair.